A few users report that when they click on the document hyperlink in a document folder, they experience the Sorry, something went wrong error page, instead of seeing the document displayed online in their browsers.
- Verify user experience: you connect to the document hyperlink and verify the user experience - you also see the Sorry, something went wrong error page displayed.
- Check server event logs on OWA server: you check the server's system and application event logs and do not find any event entry related to the issue.
- Check server event logs on WFEs: you check event logs of all WFEs and do not find any event entry related to the issue.
- Log into each WFE and then try connecting to document URL: Successfully connect to document and see it displayed on WFE1 but not on WFE2 (there are two WFE's in the system).
- Check ULS on WFE1: using correlation ID from error page, find series of entries having same correlation ID; one of these entries presents this message:
System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/appsts.svc that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. ---> System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/appsts.svc' could not be found on your local machine.
- Check WFE1 server services: net.pipe service is not running.
- Start net.pip service on WFE1: service started.
- Connect to document URL from workstation and WFE1: document opens in browser.
- On each WFE, verify that the net.pipe service is running. If it isn't, start it.
- This issue appeared after performing monthly patching and restarting servers.